Sunday, June 07, 2020

No longer a (Gilmore) Girl

The first time I saw Alexis Bledel, it was as Rory Gilmore in the US TV Series, "Gilmore Girls." This small town Dramedy was one of my guilty pleasures back in the 2000s, and I actually started following it when I was living in HKG and they would show it on TV.

Her turn as Rory had a great combination of humor and vulnerability, that's why I was hooked on the series. Of course, Lauren Graham's role as her Mom, Lorelai, made the series great to watch, too.

Since she was already a great actress as a teen, I knew Alexis would grow up to be a great adult actress as well. And I'm thrilled that my theory was proven correct.

I've seen her turn as Emily in "The Handmaid's Tale," and I'm still impressed. She still has that vulnerability that she had as a teen actress, but she also shows strength and power - especially when she defended herself from Aunt Lydia, escaped to Canada, and eventually working for a group that saves people from Gilead.



Aside from Elisabeth Moss as "June," Alexis Bledel is one of the reasons why I'm anticipating the return of the next season of "The Handmaid's Tale." (Which I am a fan of, as early as the 1990s film with Natasha Richardson and Faye Dunaway.)

No comments: