Monday, June 15, 2020

Chef-fing good!

Even as a kid, sandwiches have always been my thing.

Early childhood memories consist of my Mom's freshly-prepared sandwiches in my lunch box. The same sandwiches that I'd devour during recess time.

Sometimes, they'd be neatly wrapped in plaid paper napkins, other times in zip-locked sandwich bags, or if she'd prepare cold sandwiches - the type that has cold cuts and crisp veggies, it would be wrapped in Reynolds aluminum foil. 

That's how sandwiches became part and parcel of who I am. And it's also why I enjoy making sandwiches for other people whenever the chance comes. These include people at home, during get togethers with D' Frendz, during slow afternoons at the office, at our faculty meetings in SSC, and sometimes for my students as part of an activity.

This weekend, I re-watched the film "Chef" on Netflix.


The film - about a hotshot chef who leaves the restaurant scene to open a food truck serving Cubano sandwiches - is one of those films that I don't get tired of re-watching. Heck, it's about a sandwich! And the first time I saw this, I ended up making grilled cheese sandwiches a few hours after.

Aside from the great sandwiches, the film also had a great cast. The combination of Jon Favreau, Sofia Vergara, John Leguizamo, Bobby Cannavale, and Oliver Platt gave the film an organic feel to it. They carried the film with such ease that it was easy to forget that several A-list Hollywood stars were in it as well. Like Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey, Jr. and Scarlett Johansson.

After watching the film, that sudden urge to make sandwiches overcame me again. Too bad I left my panini press at the office, and in school. So, grilled sandwiches were off the menu. I had to contend with a regular sandwich with my favourite Goya Double Hazelnut Spread as filling. 

And of course, while I was eating that sandwich, I re-read the Panini cookbook that Mark gave me a few Christmases ago.

Gosh! I do hope I get to make these hot-off-the-press sandwiches again soon. 

It's been too long.


1 comment:

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

We love this movie, too!