Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This provincial life: Local flavor

While I was in Albay, I took the opportunity to visit Tito Ting and Tita Dolly in Bacacay. When I got there, I was shocked to see that Tita Dolly's sprawling garden was gone. Typhoon Glenda ripped apart her trees and plants, and all I could see were stumps and leaves scattered all around.

Despite that, Tita Dolly was her gracious self. After a brief chat, she invited me to the kitchen to have merienda. Since she's a good cook, I was excited to see what she prepared.

First, we had pancit. I'm not sure what type of pancit this is, but it's a fixture in all Bicolano celebrations. The look and taste is just as I remember it as a kid.


The second was caramelized gabi. Initially, I was a bit wary about eating gabi for dessert, but it turned out to be really good. I ate a few pieces while waiting for my other cousin to arrive.


I don't know if it's the ingredients, or the process, or the memories, but food in Bicol is more than food that feeds the hunger of the stomach.

It also feeds the hunger of the soul.

No comments: