Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mag-nificent

Truth is, I've always wanted to work in a magazine.

It's a want that's rooted on two things.

First, I grew up around magazines. Lolo Iking was a voracious reader, and I remember the library strewn with Newsweek, Time, Reader's Digest and National Geographic magazines. Whenever I had the time, I'd read each one, and would enjoy the personality profiles in Time and the jokes in Reader's Digest. (All in a Day's Work, anyone?)

Second, I'm a journalism graduate. I always thought I'd work in the journalism field, but I'm glad that I took this detour to advertising.

Now, because I've always wanted to work in a magazine, I look forward to my journalism subjects in SSC. Through my Feature and Technical Writing Class, (along with my Investigative Journalism class) I do get to be a part of conceptualizing, writing and publishing a magazine.

A magazine such as this:


"Kulahsa" is our laboratory paper, and it's a travel magazine that's the product of our Singapore trip last February. The clever title was given by our graphic designer, Tins, and the articles inside were all conceptualized and written by the students.

Keeping with the St. Scholastica's theme, the cover girls were two of my formers students, AD and Mai. It was gratifying to meet them again, and to see how far they've gone.


Reading the magazine again, it felt so gratifying to see how nicely the magazine came out. Actually, my heart was swelling with pride as I turned each page.

I can't wait to do this again next year.

No comments: