Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Graphic Design

A few months ago, I saw this really nice jersey fabric with a very graphic, art deco print. It was so eye catching, I had to buy a couple of yards. Good thing I did, because when I went to the same store a few days later, that particular fabric was all gone.

The tricky thing about the print is that it's one continuous print all throughout the fabric. Unlike the usual printed fabrics that have small prints that are repeated all throughout the surface, this one is trickier to work with. In order to keep the print intact, the dress has to have no big cuts at all. So I thought, the dress shouldn't have side seams - which is super tricky, as any dress maker can tell you.

Thank goodness for the amazing Aling Bright. I showed her the fabric, I told her what I had in mind, and she gave me this!



With masterful cutting, she was able to keep the print intact from the front, to the side, to the back. The only seam on this dress was at the center of the back part. Thus, the graphic was kept continuous. To emphasize the waist, she kept part of the print on the top portion of the dress, creating this black line in the middle. She also put the blue band on the sleeves of the dress.



Since the print can be overwhelming, she decided to break it up by making this big hole at the back. This show of skin is a perfect foil to the heaviness of the print.



Leave it to Aling Bright to make such graphic concepts come alive.

No comments: