Monday, November 22, 2010

Framed

Whenever a friend of mine celebrates a milestone - birthday, wedding, baptismal, dedication, etc. - I get excited because it allows me to engage in my other creative outlet.

I've been sketching cakes since I was in college, but was interested in baking even as early as high school. Maybe it's because my parents are good cooks and my Mom liked to bake stuff from scratch. I still remember how she'd make empanada from scratch. And when there's a birthday, she'd make chocolate cake instead of buying one from Goldilock's.

But since Raymond and Ate Bullet are cake experts, the exercise is easier for me now. All I need to do is show them the sketch, discuss whether it's feasible, then watch them create magic.

Last Saturday, Ivy and LJ's daughter had her dedication. A few days before that, Ivy asked me if I could design a cake for Lluvy, so I quickly took a pencil and paper, then whipped up this design:



Lluvy is such an adorable girl, so I wanted to put her prominently on the cake. My idea was to use frames all over the cake and show off her different facets. And to make the cake more festive, baby icons were also incorporated into the design.

After sending the design to Ivy, she liked it a lot, so it was a go. Next step was to give it to Raymond and Ate, so they can work their magic.

And magical it was! Here's how the finished product looked like.



Yesterday, Ivy texted to say the cake was so cute and that they liked it a lot. Ah yes, another successful creative cake project completed!

Now, off to Grace's wedding cake.

No comments: