Monday, October 04, 2010

Why Andy Sachs might NOT move to Seoul...

Andy Sachs: So none of the girls here eat anything?
Nigel: Not since two became new four and zero became the new two.
Andy Sachs: Well, I'm a six...
Nigel: Which is the new fourteen.

- The Devil Wears Prada


During my Seoul trip, one of the items that I saw a lot was the tapered, slightly cropped and tailored khaki pants. It's one of the hotter fashion items in the US, and everyone from Jennifer Aniston to Rihanna have been seen rocking this pair of pants.



The fashionable women of Seoul wore it with either a crisp shirt, a billowy blouson, or a t-shirt and a jacket. Footwear ranged from platforms to boots, and the occasional sandal. They were so effortly chic!

It was so chic that I decided to buy a pair for my sisters. So off I went to aPM Mall since there were a lot of them on display on the ground floor. After browsing, I finally found one with the right mix of classic and edgy. My sisters sizes are small and medium, so I asked the sales lady for those two sizes.

When she arrived, the "small" looked more like "minute" and the "medium" was more of "tiny." It turned out that their small is size 25 and their medium is size 26. Their largest size is a 27, and the size 28 automatically qualifies as an XL, but they don't carry that size.

Since when did size 28 become extra large?! And since when did they stop producing pants over size 27?! Gosh, no wonder the girls in Korea are so thin! That's the only way they can fit into the clothes they sell. Harhar.

The thing about these tapered pants is that they fall on the 2nd hip and not the waist. Thus, it should be at least 2 or 3 inches bigger than the waist size. Ergo, it would be difficult to find a pair that would fit my sisters.

Or so I thought.

At Migliore, there were shops that had the sign "Big Sizes Available." And those big sizes were size 28 to 30! Whoa! Size 28 is considered a "big size" in Seoul? How would they classify Western women whose waist sizes reach up to 36? "Humongous" or "Gargantuan" perhaps?

Anyway, I was able to find a pair for my 2 sisters at one store, and they're both large sizes. Since the fabric and construction of the 2 pairs are different, the sizing was different as well. So while they're both "L", one pair is cut and fit smaller than the other.

Now let's not get into the technicalities of sizing. What's important is that I was able to buy a pair of these chic, tapered, and tailored khaki pants for my sisters.

But would Andy Sachs be able to find a pair for herself? That I'm not too sure about.

No comments: