Monday, August 23, 2010

Shame

When I arrived from HKG this Monday morning, the first news I heard on the radio was that a bus load of tourists from Korea and Hong Kong were being hostaged in Manila. The first thing that came to my mind was: "I wonder if the Hong Kong tourists who were on my flight have heard of this piece of news."

By the time I got home at around 8pm, it turned out that things went from well to worst. There were around 8 Hong Kong tourists who were killed along with the hostage taker.

For the first time, I felt ashamed of my country. How could we have failed to resolve this situation and protect the lives of these tourists? They were families trying to take a break and make the most of the last week of summer. And this is what they get in and from the Philippines?

Having been a resident and regular traveler to Hong Kong, I know how much they try to protect their tourism industry and their tourists. Heck, a few months ago, when there were acid attacks in Mong Kok, our hotel concierge constantly reminded us and warned us against venturing into the Mong Kok area. When we were stubborn and pushed through with our shopping trip, there were policemen around the area shielding us from where the last attack happened. That's how protective they were.

And what did our authorities do to protect these tourists?

But I'm glad to know that there were around 10 tourists who survived the ordeal. Although I don't expect them to ever come back to the Philippines. Ever.

I'm a very patriotic person and love our country with a passion. So much passion that I don't see myself ever leaving this place. So much passion that whenever I'm out of the country, I talk about the Philippines with so much pride.

But there comes a time when even the most patriotic person will feel a bit of shame for the country and something that we did.

And for me, that time is today.

No comments: