Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Of kith and Kin

Today, one of my closest friends is celebrating her birthday.



It's been more than a decade since I met her in San Miguel. She was the well-dressed, extremely gracious, undeniably classy and indescribably nice girl who ran Kaunlaran. She was difficult to miss, because aside from her commanding yet quiet presence, she had this accent that was part-British, part-American. She became one of my first friends in the office, along with Ampi, Dada, Elsie, Marla and Jo.

She is one of the nicest people I know. She loves organizing celebrations for friends, and was a consistent partner in our "Megamall-crimes". She always has something nice to say, even if the situation or person isn't really that great. She can talk about corporate culture, travel and fashion - three topics that fascinate us both. She always has a ready smile that brightens up everyone's day. And she always brings with her an air of positivity that infects everyone and leaves us with good vibes.

When I was living in HKG, I'd bump into her in the strangest of places. Once, we saw each other in Disneyland; she with her family and I, with Prichy and her kids. Another time, I was busy perusing the racks at H&M in Central. Lo and behold, she was there with Anton and Nic. We immediately exchanged pleasantries, while exchanging the "finds" we got.

During my last retreat (which was a long time ago), she wrote me a beautiful Palanca letter. Not surprising, really, since she's a brilliant writer. It was about finding and coming to terms with our own spirituality, and finding Him in everything we do. It was such an inspiring letter from a person who's equally inspiring.

They say "friends are family you choose for yourself", and more than a decade after we first met, I'm still glad and honored that she's part of my family, and that she'll always be a Kin.

Happy Birthday, Kin!

No comments: