Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The flying, teaching chef

Last Sunday, my senior Advertising batch made their final walk through the halls of St. Scholastica's College as students. By Monday, they were now members of the professional community.

One of the best rewards I get from teaching is seeing my former students thrive and excel in the real world. A handful of them are now in major advertising agencies doing stellar work. Some of them are in account management while a few others have chosen to take the creative route.

Batch 2010 has a good mix of both. I can see some of my students becoming great creative directors, while others will be awesome account directors.

But before they left the hallowed halls of school, we made sure that we sent them off properly, and memorably. And that required me to take off my teaching hat and wear other hats in separate occasions.

For the Seniors' send-off by the Mass Comm faculty, I wore a Pilot's hat!



Our theme was "Taking Flight" and I dressed up as a pilot while Prichy was my chief purser. I once dreamt of becoming a pilot (as well as a flight attendant), so this was equally fun for me.

On the last day of classes, I wore another hat. This time, a chef's toque. We ended the year with my favorite "D.I.Y. sandwich party." But instead of it being a D.I.Y. event, I played chef and let everyone just sit back and relax.



All I can say is, it's difficult to make 24 paninis! Harhar. I christened the event "Lester's Panini Palace" and students could order from a menu of paninis, including pesto and cheese, spanish sardine, and the multi-ham and cheese variety.



All these events made the sem end much more fun. And it gave me the opportunity to wear the three "hats" that I enjoy wearing.

And I throw those three hats in the air to salute St. Scholastica's College Advertising batch 2010 graduates. Congratulations!

2 comments:

Kiten said...

Hats off to you sir, for making our experience worthwhile! :) Hopefully in the near future we get to wear our own "director's cap" or whatever hat there is for us in the real Advertising world! :) Thank you!

NeiLDC said...

hi there lester i got your postcard last dec.and i was wonderin if u are in HK or in manila as i was sending you a card too... email me back please.