Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Maybe the old songs...

My Dad is a huge music fan. When we were kids, there was a portion of the house where he'd keep all his cassette tapes and label them. The fact that he had a catalogue was ample proof that he was serious about music.

Thanks to Dad, I learned to appreciate different types of music at a young age. It was then that I was introduced to Seawind, Shirley Bassey, Richard Clayderman, Ferrante and Teicher, Earth, Wind and Fire, The 5th Dimension, and a host of other artists that I'd normally not be familiar with.

This is where my affinity for old songs came from.

As much as I appreciate current pop stars (Britney Spears! Yeah!), there's still that need to listen to music from the 70s and 80s.

There's something about the music from that decade. Each song had a story. The lyrics were beautifully crafted. The melodies were simple but haunting. And when you add them all up, the result was pure musical magic.

One of my favorite old songs from the 80s was this virtually unknown song from an unheard of but very musically gifted singer, taken from an obscure movie. It was entitled "Desire (Hello Joe, Goodbye)", and the song still sounds a beautiful as I first heard it as a little boy.

For the longest time, I've been trying to find a CD of old songs that included it, but my efforts were for naught. Good thing there's youtube.

No comments: