Tuesday, January 05, 2010

LSS: Lanca Song Syndrome

It's been two weeks and the song is still playing in my head. I'm so, so into it that I've spent a day just searching for different permutations of the song and its videos. And after sifting through a lot, I've decided to set aside my favorites for easy reference in the future.

1. Rita Lee (acoustic) - She performed this a few years ago, which means she's around 50 years old at this time. Despite her age, the voice is still the same. I like the way this version sounds - a bit of ska, a bit of reggae, and all fun.



2. "Idolos" contestants - In one episode of Brazil's version of the "Idol" franchise, they were asked to perform the song. And it's interesting how each contestant had a different take on the song.



3. Adriane - I don't know this artist, but methinks she's an upstart pop singer in Brazil. Her version is also easy on the ears - taking the essence of the original and adding a bit of electronica to it. I'm not digging her MTV, though. It's too pop tart. She's trying too hard to Britney-fy the song.



4. Rita Lee vintage - Again, the original. She's such a performer! I'm digging the crazy faces and even crazier moves. No wonder she's called the Queen of Rock in Brazil.



One thing I've learned after looking at all those videos is that Lanca Perfume is a Rita Lee anthem. Whenever she sings it, people go bonkers! And this bonker reaction happened in the 70s, 80s, 90s and even in 2008.



It's probably her signature song, much like "Never gonna give you up" is Rick's,"Staying Alive" is the Bee Gees' and "I should be so lucky" is Kylie's. It's a classic! That's why I don't think I'll tire of this anytime soon.

No comments: