Sunday, January 17, 2010

Channeling Mr. Blackwell

It was Saturday night, and I found myself in Aquaknox to attend the midterm event of my Advertising seniors. Entitled "Masquerada", it was an evening that showcased the talents of students from SSC, UST, AMA and DLSU.

Just like in previous years, I'm impressed at how the Advertising students conduct events. There's a lot of creativity, attention to detail, and that ever-elusive X-factor. As the night progressed, it was easy to see how successful the entire party was.

My favorite part was the fashion show. Coco - the floor director - did a great job in conceptualizing this segment. First, the models appeared on an aquarium like area of the bar, and everyone looked up in delight as they realized what was happening.




Then, the models went down using a stairwell on the side, and gracefully walked down the small catwalk. At the rate flashbulbs were popping, it felt like a real fashion show.



They had a good mix of designers. The 3 female designers from DLSU had very fashion-forward designs. And their finale was a small collection from Project Runway Philippines runner-up, Veejay Floresca. It was nice to see my Trish, my former student, work that runway.


(Trish is the 2nd girl from the right.)

Also, same as last year, I was asked to name the best dressed couple of the evening. After channeling my inner Mr. Blackwell and craning my neck for an hour or so, I spotted this girl wearing a "fierce" ensemble. She had a floral top and mixed it with ripped liquid leggings. I liked the contrast of her outfit, so she got my vote. For the best dressed guy, I chose this dude who wore some of the current trends for guys: skinny jeans, skinny shirt with a skinny tie - skinny everything!



The girl turned out to be one of our seniors at SSC. Maybe she can wear that to school on "Corporate Fridays." I mean, that'll pass off as corporate in an Advertising Agency. Or a bar. Hahaha.

Another year, another fashion show. I wonder what we have in store for us next year.

No comments: