Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hussein is what I'm sayin'

A few years ago, I had this "ukay" phase. Madz, Claire and I would rush to the ukay place in front of Robinson's Galleria after work, and would spend hours just poring through the racks in search for interesting finds.

After almost a year of being fascinated with the hunt, the novelty disappeared and s did my interest. It's been more than 3 years since I've last ventured into ukay territory.

Today, I decided to check out the ukay place near our house. The reason why I dropped by was more of curiousity, because the store now stands where the Daily Supermarket branch of Dexter's used to be. A few minutes in the store, and my eyes widened because of what I uncovered.



Yes! It's an actual Hussein Chalayan dress! Hidden in between racks of distressingly dowdy frocks.



After describing the dress to Arnie, her remark was that it was "so Hussein." The fabric is navy cotton treated with spandex, which gives it stretch and shape. The style is like a t-shirt/sweater dress that has a layered effect. It looks comfy enough for fall, and I assume that's the season when this was made.

The skirt is made up of interesting and random pleats, and again, this is so Hussein.



My students are still avid ukay fans, to a point that they even have a euphemism for it. For them, "ukay" is "treasure."



And after finding this Hussein Chalayan dress in an ukay place, I can't help but agree.

2 comments:

ArnieGirl said...

oh my it's wonderfully deconstructed!

Dazed and Confused said...

I know! It's really a gem of a find.