Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Jappy

The Japanese come up with the happiest, and sometimes silliest, of songs. But having been to Japan so many times, I understand that it's just in their culture to create things that are aesthetically pleasing, eventhough those things seem to have no rhyme or reason.

These songs are perfect examples. These are two of the Japanese pop songs that I can keep listening to over and over again. Sure, I can't understand them, but the beat and melody makes me happy.

The first song is by Shonen Knife, the band who gained worldwide recognition for their rendition of The Carpenters' "Top of the World." Here's a song about - of all things - Banana Chips. It was Mark who introduced me to this song, and he'd sing the chorus when we were in Japan.



The second song conjures up a lot of happy and fun memories. It was a hit in the mid 90s, and Kuya Ers and I were fans of the song. Later on, it was used in anime shows, variety shows, and even a beauty pageant. (I'm sure Kuya Ers remembers this.) Two years ago, we also used it as a peg for a commercial we did.



Ah yes, nothing like Happy Japanese songs to fill up a humdrum midweek.

No comments: