Monday, October 19, 2009

Hallow-wedding cake

One reason why I enjoy organizing weddings for friends is the fact that I get to design their wedding cake. Whenever we settle on a theme, and they give me a free rein on the cake design, I quickly bring out my sketchbook and sketch away. Then, I show the sketch to Ate Bullet and Raymond, and ask them if it's feasible. If it is, then I let them do their magic.

I think the first wedding cake I designed was for Kuki & Reno's wedding. It was a Tiffany blue cake with ceramic-like flowers on the side. Last week, I ran into Jan in Greenbelt, and he introduced me to his wife as "the guy who designed our wedding cake."

In my "cake designing history", I've done a number of unique cakes. The more recent one was Ivy's wedding cake, which had a light house and two fishes standing in for the bride and groom. And a few weeks ago, another beautifully unique cake joined that roster.

When Ia talked to me about her wedding cake, her brief was simple and straighforward - she wanted a halloween pumpkin. Since her wedding was in October, the idea was perfect. So, we agreed on designing and creating a cake that was fun, unconventional, humorous, and, of course, had a pumpkin.

As usual, I showed my design to Ate Bullet and Raymond, and our collaboration resulted in this:



It was more awesome than I expected it to be. It had the pumpkin, three pumpkins to be exact, and lit from inside. But aside from that, it was also within the autumn theme of the wedding, thanks to the leaves surrounding the pumpkins. And since pumpkins carry the autumn colors, it was a perfect match.

I just love it when collaborations result in something so beautiful.

No comments: