Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Onigiri-ng up

While passing through Mini-stop, I was drawn inside because of a familiar sight.




ONIGIRI!

During my travels to Japan the past few years, I've grown attached to these little rice balls. Hands down, it's one of my favorite Japanese food. Aside from it being convenient and yummy, it also brings back a lot of good memories.

While at the Tokyo Station waiting for my Shinkansen to Urasa, I'd stop by a Konbini and eat two Onigiris and drink Green Tea. Whenever we pass by 7-11 on our way to the train station, I'd also grab a piece. Or whenever I got hungry anywhere in Japan - be it in Tokyo, Kyoto, Urasa or Osaka - i'd get by with a little help from Onigiri.

Now I'm glad to know that they have them in Manila. And to test whether it's as good as the Japanese one, I bought my favorite variant to try out.



Tuna Mayo Onigiri was always my first choice. So I'm familiar with the taste and texture. And surprise, surprise! The Tuna Mayo Onigiri in Mini-stop tastes very close to the Japanese one. (The only difference was the rice. The Japanese one is a bit stickier.)

They have more than 8 variants of Onigiri in Mini-stop. That means I should gear up for more Onigiri the next few weeks.

No comments: