Friday, February 27, 2009

Cheers, Cheche!

Albeit a bit reluctant, I accepted the invitation to be the moderator for tonight's Hildegard Awards in school. My apprehension was rooted in the fact that I've never moderated an open forum before. But since I'm paired with Prichy - a long-time friend of excellent standing - I took it on.

Boy, am I glad I did. One of the awardees was Che-Che Lazaro. She's most famous for her journalistic work and her TV show, The Probe Team. But more than that, I know her because she was my mentor and my boss.



Che-che was my teacher in Broadcasting, both in my undergraduate and graduate studies. She taught me how to write scripts for TV and how to edit a TV feature well. Aside from that, she was also my boss when I interned at Probe Productions. Eventhough it was a lot of hard work, Che-che and her team made it seem like a breeze. I was fortunate enough to be part of a feature they did on Levi Celerio, and watching it unfold from concept to an aired piece was an unparalleled experience.

I haven't seen her in years, but seeing her and hearing her speech reminded me of why my admiration for her is so great. She's passionate, articulate, intelligent, forward thinking, and she loves the Philippines with such fervor. Not only is she a journalist, she's also a patriot. I'm thankful and fortunate to have been under her wing, even for a short time.

(And my favorite part of the night was: When Liz was about to introduce me to Che-che, she looks at me and says: "I know you." I thought, "coolness!")

No comments: