Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It's quite easy being green

Arnie will be pleased.



During my last visit to H&M, I bought a pair of organic denim jeans, and I'm wearing the pair today along with my Zara shirt that's made with fair trade cotton. While fashion is largely considered as lofty and promotes excess, it's good to know that fast-fashion companies are doing their bit in making the industry green.

I'm not sure how far Asia has gone in embracing this cause. Hong Kong, for one, is such a wasteful society and people have no qualms about buying and throwing stuff away. That penchant for throwing stuff is the reason why there are so many HKG clothing in local ukay-ukays - which means the Philippines is doing its share by recycling. Harhar.

I read about this clothing shop near Unitel which uses only organically produced fabric, and Mamu told me that they have gorgeous stuff. But they're supposedly uber expensive - mainly because organic processes are expensive. Then again, what's important is someone takes the first step in introducing earth-friendly fashion in the country. And really, there's more to it than Cinderella copying Anya Hindmarch's bag or people introducing "recyclable shopping bags" that no one uses for shopping.

No comments: