Saturday, August 25, 2007

Siu Mai Gosh

After Vita Lemon Tea, I've got another new addiction here in Hong Kong. And like Vita, it's something I often overlooked, and got hooked after trying it.

It's Siu Mai.

Much like our Siomai, the Siu Mai here is a regular fixture in street food stalls. Usually made of fish (which part, I don't know), it's wrapped in yellow dumpling skin and steamed. It's usually dipped in soy sauce, which is what we normally do in Manila. But since I like it super spicy, they dip it in this thick, gravy-like sauce which is mostly made up of chili peppers. Awesome!

The best Siu Mai and Chili sauce i've tasted is the one near Fa Yuen Street. Every weekend, I go there and get my Siu Mai fix. The vendors already know me, and immediately dip it in sauce before giving it to me. I've earned the reputation "Spice Boy" and that's what I'm called by one of the guys there.

Gosh. Just writing about it is giving me another Siu Mai craving.

No comments: