Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Auspicious

08.08

Today is supposed to be an auspicious day because of the presence of the two lucky numbers. For the Chinese, 8 signifies luck because the number is formed by a continuous line. A lot of Chinese choose to marry on this day for it is said that the marriage will be blessed infinitely, and as I passed by Hong Kong Cultural Center this morning, there were definitely more couples than the usual.

Two of my cousins were born today: Cristina, who's living in Barcelona, and Harold, who's probably in Manila. (Heck, I haven't seen Harold in AGES!) They've always been considered lucky charms in their families because of this double 8 phenomenon.

Now if two 8s are lucky, imagine what three 8s will bring.

One year from today, it will be 08.08.08, and it's a huge, huge, HUGE red letter day for China because this coming together of three 8s will only happen once in our generation. That's why they scheduled the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics on that date. With such a special date coming up, i'm sure millions of people are already planning to get married on that day, as well as give birth. (Hmmm... I reckon there'll be a rise in caesarian births on that day. Heh.)

Maybe i'll go to Beijing this time next year. It's been a while since my last visit there and watching the Olympic games - particularly the Opening and Closing ceremonies - is definitely worth the trip. Then again, even if I go there, the bigger question is: Will I get tickets for the ceremonies and the games.

Now I'll need more than luck for that.

3 comments:

arniedelusong said...

beijing. now there's one beautiful city i wanna go to

K.noizki said...

I thought it was the #9?

Sometimes I tend not to believe in numbers. Remember the movie about the OMEN, 666 (July 6, 2006)? What happened there? They said it has a significance to bad luck. Just mere coincidence maybe?

I do believe in the number 13th tho. Haven't you noticed, most HK office buildings doesn't have 13th floor? I mean, they avoid using the floor for luck-sakes. Maybe not. I live on the 13th floor in my bldg and so far, there's nothing weird going on around here, just yet.

Go for China. I supposed to be visiting ShenZhen yesterday (Aug 8) but it was raining. So a badluck day for me.

K

Dazed and Confused said...

Arnie! Let's plan! If Silk Alley is still there, it's THE place to shop. hahaha.

Hey K. Actually, it depends on which part of China one comes from. For the Cantonese, it's the number 4 that's unlucky - that's why new buildings don't have 4, 14, 24, 34, etc. I think unlucky 13 is for the Fookienese.

Since my friend works in Shenzhen, I go there quite often -- if only for Mix-C and Taco Bell. Hahaha.