Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Happy Together

Thanks to an impromptu karaoke get-together after the ASEAN Night, I found myself singing that song and getting a decent score for my efforts. During the course of my rendition, I could remember Joy saying how beautiful the lyrics of the song were. And I couldn't agree with her more. Happy together is one of those songs that speak of love, but in a very upbeat way. It eschews the mushy, romantic route (which isn't that bad, since I'm actually a big fan of mush...) and tells a story of love in a way that makes your head bob up and down, left and right.

The refrain is simply but beautifully written:

"I can't see me loving nobody but you, for all my life.
When I'm with you, baby the skies will be blue, for all my life."

When you've found the one you'll spend the rest of your life with, every little thing you do together turns into a happy event. Things that are seemingly simple and mundane turn out to be experiences that teach you more about one another. Things like talking a long walk home after dinner, hearing frogs croaking while passing through rice paddies with only the moonlight to light your way. Or eating microwavable spaghetti by the river as you watch your companions try to bag a fish or a duck. Or watching Grey's Anatomy from a computer screen past midnight. Or eating breakfast while playing Typeshark. Or making the bed a few moments after messing it up for the nth time the past 3 days.

These are things that a lot of people will find ordinary. But then again, nothing is ordinary when you're so happy together.



I can't see me loving nobody but you, for all my life.
When I'm with you, baby the skies will be blue, for all my life.

No comments: