Thursday, November 17, 2005

Waisted!

Going through my closet this morning to find a pair of jeans to wear today further highlighted my love affair with low waist jeans. After going through each one, I realized that are no regular waist jeans in my repertoire. And I doubt if there ever will be.

My love affair with low rise jeans began in 2002 in Barcelona. Tita Evelyn and I were shopping at Zara in La Illa mall, and she asked me to choose 2 pairs of jeans and a couple of shirts. Being a guy attracted to details, the jeans I chose were: 1. A medium washed pair with holes and distressed details, and 2. A dark washed pair with tucks around the knee area. While fitting these 2 jeans, my eyes were so fixated on the details that I didn't notice that the waist was a bit lower than usual. It was only after using it twice or thrice that thrice that it dawned on me that they were low rise jeans. Just goes to show that I don't read the labels, because it was practically shouting: LOW RISE!

When I wore them while judging the Miss Robinson's search, (Oh, I must write about this in the future), a famous fashion director complemented my jeans and said: "Low waist jeans suit you, you know." Then that's when I first became aware of the concept of, and the nice fit this jean type. If a fashion director said it, then it must be true. Hahaha!

Since then, I'd passionately search for low waist jeans. And I must say, this is a bit difficult in Manila where the regular waist ones still rule the shops and stores. But there were a few gems that I came across. My favorites were the low waist Lee Jeans, the Levi's 513s given to me by my friends during my birthday, a light pair from Topman with a lot of distressed details, and a DSquare-style pair from RRJ. (Yup, Rough Rider Jeans!)

Thank goodness for my occasional trips to Hong Kong and Singapore! These places offer a wider selection of jeans thanks to Zara, FCUK and Topman. Without fail, i'd buy and bring home at least 3 jeans everytime I go home from these trips. My favorite pairs from abroad are: 1. A green washed pair with a folded hem from Topman (not available in the Manila shop.), 2. A light washed pair with unusually low pockets from Zara and 3. A dark washed pair with zippered back pockets, also from Zara.

Moving to HK, I found myself spoilt for choice. Tough, K2, Indu homme, Mastermind Productions, Energie, Diesel and Replay all have smashing low waist jeans. And that explains why i now have 35 pairs of jeans in less than 5 months.

Today i've decided to wear this pair of Replay jeans that are my lowest pair yet. They're so low, they're practically hanging on to dear life on my two hip bones (which, thankfully, are big enough to support the denim and keep them from falling.) I like them because they make me feel tall and thin. While I was riding the MTR this morning, I was standing in front of two women who I knew were Filipinas. Since I had one arm raised and holding the rail, it was natural for my hoodie to go up and reveal the low-ness of my low waist jeans.

One of the Pinay's commented: "Yan! Yan ang walang puson!" Of course, she didn't know that I was Pinoy and I could understand her. But upon hearing that comment, I knew that this jean type will be the one i'll be wearing for a long time.

No comments: