Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Haw come?

Although i'm not as alarmed as I should be yet, there's a noticeable shortage of Haw flakes in Hong Kong.

I've loved Aji Ichiban's Haw Flakes since they first landed on my lips way back in 1996. Ever since that moment, i'd go to Hong Kong specifically for that. And when I found out that they were sold in Cebu, I bugged all my friends living in or flying from the Queen City to PUH-LEEZE bring me home Aji Ichiban Haw Flakes.

When they finally set up shop in Manila, I was thrilled! You could imagine me doing cartwheels and Miposian Dances of Joy upon reading the news. My favorite fruit by-product (Haw, or Hawthorn, is actually a berry) was going to be easily accessible. Yes, the small Haw Flakes that sold for .50cents in sari-sari stores were always there, but after tasting Aji Ichiban, there was no turning back.

It was second nature, and so expected, for me to buy the P65.00 pack of Haw Flakes containing 8 big rolls. Whether I was in Megamall, Glorietta, Robinson's Place Ermita, Galleria, SM North or Gateway, my feet would lead me to the nearest Aji Ichiban outlet and i'd automatically walk away with one or two packs. It became too much of a routine that when the sales girl from the Galleria branch saw me, she'd automatically have a pack on her hand and she'd give it to me the moment I stepped in. That's how predictable I became.

When I moved to HK, that was the first thing I looked for. And yes, it was a bit more cheaper here. It was $15 for 2 8 packs, and $20 for 2 16 packs. Yup, I was in Haw Flakes heaven.

But recently, I noticed a shortage of the goodies in stores. Most of the ones near the office wouldn't have it. The branches in Kowloon didn't carry it as well. I was so tempted to ask the sales ladies why there was an apparent shortage. Too bad they couldn't understand English that well.

Not one to wait for a shortage to arrive, I did what anyone addicted to any substance would do. I hoarded packs and packs and packs of Haw Flakes. There are a few packs in my office drawer, and a lot of packs in my cupboard at home. I may not have the answer to the problem, but at least i've stocked up on the solution.

1 comment:

Michael Pimentel said...

Addict rin ako sa Haw Flakes... Hehe...