Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hit me!

Here are the top 100 hit songs during the year I graduated. A hundred songs is a lot to digest, but I though I'd check it out and see how many of these songs I know, and love! Reading through them brought back so many memories, and I couldn't help but hum or sing along: (To get it, go to musicoutfitters.com and type in your graduation year on the space that says "search")

1. Look Away, Chicago - The number one song -- is a song I don't know. Go figure...
2. My Prerogative, Bobby Brown - I love the Britney version more than Bobby's.
3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison - Huh?
4. Straight Up, Paula Abdul - Love this dance ditty from the original dance diva: Straight up now tell me do you really wanna love me forever -- uh-uh-oh -- or am I caught in hit and run.
5. Miss You Much, Janet Jackson - I miss you much, oh, I, miss you much, I really miss you much...
6. Cold Hearted, Paula Abdul - Another lovely dance track -- she's a cold hearted snake, look into her eyes, uh-oh, she's been telling lies. (What's with Paula and uh-ohs?)
7. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler - From the movie Beaches. I heard this song during my grandfather's wake, and I cried the entire time it was playing.
8. Girl You Know Its True, Milli Vanilli - ooh, ooh, ooh, I love you... Girl you know it's true! Too bad their voices weren't.
9. Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird, Will To Power - Nope, don't know this one, too.
10. Giving You The Best That I Got, Anita Baker - I'll bet everything, on my wedding ring, I'm giving you the best that I got, baby...
11. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx - Kinda cheesy, well, it IS from Richard Marx. -- Wherever you go, whatever you do, i will be right here waiting for you.
12. Waiting For A Star To Fall, Boy Meets Girl - Sounds familiar, but I can't remember it.
13. Lost In Your Eyes, Debbie Gibson - I love, love, love Debbie Gibson. Too bad it wasn't Electric Youth that was number 1 during my graduation year.
14. Don't Wanna Lose You, Gloria Estefan - I heard the Spanish and English versions of this song, and I prefer the Spanish one. It's much more romantic.
15. Heavan, Warrant - Don't know.
16. Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Milli Vanilli - It's a tragedy to see the dream is over, and i never will forget, the day we've met, girl I'm gonna miss you.
17. The Look, Roxette - And they go, lalalala - she's got the look! Forever immortalized because of Eat Bulaga's TV contest.
18. She Drives Me Crazy, Fine Young Cannibals - Another cool yet danceable ditty. -- She drives me crazy, and I can't help myself.
19. On Our Own, Bobby Brown - Don't know this one, too.
20. Two Hearts, Phil Collins - This song has a nice, bouncy vibe to it. -- Two hearts, living in just one mind, together forever, til the end of time...
21. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli - When "you've got to blame it on something..."
22. Listen To Your Heart, Roxette - "When it's calling for you, listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do..."
23. I'll Be There For You, Bon Jovi - "These 5 words I say to you, if you breathe, I want to be the air for you, I'll be there for you!
24. If You Don't Know Me By Now, Simply Red - "You will never, never, never know me.. no you won't..."
25. Like A Prayer, Madonna - Yes, Madonna makes it to the list. The almost-blasphemous MTV is what makes this song so memorable for me. Burning crosses, making love to saints, and low cut dresses -- just like a prayer, your voice will take me there.
26. I'll Be Loving You (Forever), New Kids On The Block - NKOTB during their high pitched era.
27. How Can I Fall?, Breathe - I did hear this song a lot way back in LSQC. It was very romantic.
28. Baby Don't Forget My Number, Milli Vanilli - This was the songn with the rap in between, which I think was really cool. "Baby, don't forget my number. Baby, love is stronger than thunder." May I add, Baby, don't forget my lipsync artist.
29. Toy Solider, Martika - I love the beat of this song, it's within the "marching" concept of the ditty and you hear Martika go: step by step, heart to heart, bit by bit and the battle wages on, for toy soldiers. This is supposedly about drug addiction and the fight to keep the youth away from drugs.
30. Forever Your Girl, Paula Abdul - Yes, everybody loves Paula! "Hey baby, i'm forever your girl." I love the instrumentation of this song.
31. The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics - Familiar band, unfamiliar song.
32. Eternal Flame, The Bangles - A lovely ballad coupled with powerful voices. I can still hear the lead singer belting: but is this burning, an Eternal Flaaaaammmmmeeeeee....
33. Wild Thing, Tone Loc - One of those sexy songs complete with heavy breathing: Wild thing, yo make my heart sing.
34. When I See You Smile, Bad English - "When I see you smile, I can face the world..." Isn't that sweet.
35. If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher - Apart from the song, people remember Cher singing it while wearing the highest cut tanga bikini in recorded history. And she sang this while she was on an aircraft carrier. A lot of happy soliders there, I reckon.
36. Buffalo Stance, Neneh Cherry - Female rap at its best. "Looking good today, looking good in every way. No lock and key... Boy, don't you mess with me!"
37. When I'm With You, Sheriff - I don't know this one.
38. Don't Rush Me, Taylor Dayne - and this one.
39. Born To Be My Baby, Bon Jovi - and this one.
40. Good Thing, Fine Young Cannibals - and this one.
41. The Lover In Me, Sheena Easton - and this one. Although I love Sheena Easton.
42. Bust A Move, Young M.C. - Looks like this is the part that I really, really don't know.
43. Once Bitten, Twice Shy, Great White - next
44. Batdance, Prince - next
45. Rock On, Michael Damian - next
46. Real Lov, Jody Watley - Wow! Jodie Watley! I love this song: "Real love, i know I gotta get some, real love... gotta have real love!"
47. Love Shack, B-52's - Hands down, my favorite band. And I love, love, love the song. -- If you see a faded sign at the side of the road that says: 15 miles to the LOOOOOVEEE SHACK! Love shack, yeah!
48. Every Little Step, Bobby Brown - "You will be there, every little step I take, we'll be together..."
49. Hangin' Tough, New Kids On The Block - "Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh... Hanging tough!"
50. My Heart Can't Tell You No, Rod Stewart - Nope, don't know this one.
51. So Alive, Love and Rockets - and this one.
52. You Got It (The Right Stuff), New Kids On The Block - Vaugely familiar.
53. Armageddon It, Def Leppard - next
54. Satisfied, Richard Marx - next
55. Express Yourself, Madonna - LOVE IT! "come on girls, do you believe in love, because i've got something to say about it, and it goes a little something like this!" Madonna dances the Roger Rabbit in her Gaultier bustier! Classic!
56. I Like It, Dino - I don't like it because I don't know it.
57. Soldier Of Love, Donny Osmond - Huh? Donny Osmond?
58. Sowing The Seeds Of Love, Tears For Fears - Great MTV. With the crawling graphics. Lovely song, too.
59. Cherish, Madonna - Who can forget the mermaids in this MTV. And I like the chorus singing: "Give me faith, give me joy, my boy, I will always cherish you..."
60. When The Children Cry, White Lion - Huh?
61. 18 And Life, Skid Row - Huh?
62. I Don't Want Your Love, Duran Duran - I can't believe I don't know this Duran Duran Song.
63. Second Chances, .38 Special - Don't know this one.
64. The Way You Love Me, Karyn White - I might know this one.
65. Funky Cold Medina, Tone Loc - I definitely know this one. It spawned Andrew Ford Medina. And I love the part of the song where he goes out with a girl named Sheena, and he found out: "SHEENA WAS A MAN!" His parting words of wisdom: "Don't go out with a girl with an Oscar Meyer Weinier" How profound!
66. In Your Room, Bangles - Vaguely Familiar.
67. Miss You Like Crazy, Natalie Cole - This song has a great intro: "Even though it's been so long, my love for you keeps going strong..." Who wouldn't fall in love with that.
68. Love Song, Cure - I know the cure. I don't know this song.
69. Secret Rendesvous, Karyn White - I think Karyn White sang Superwoman. But this song, I don't know.
70. Angel Eyes, Jeff Healey Band - Nope.
71. Patience, Guns N' Roses - Nope.
72. Walk On Water, Eddie Money - Nope.
73. Cover Girl, New Kids On The Block - Nope.
74. Welcom To The Jungle, Guns N' Roses - And another nope.
75. Shower Me With Your Love, Surface - Yup. "Shower me with your love, shower me with the love that I long for..."
76. Stand, R.E.M. - Know the band, not the song.
77. Close My Eyes Forever, Lita Ford - Don't know the singer, don't know the song.
78. All This Time, Tiffany - Debbie's arch rival. I like this song as well, it suits Tiffany's hoarse voice.
79. After All, Cher and Peter Cetera - Super duper romantic song. It helped that it was part of that great Cybill Sheperd/Robert Downey Movie "Chances are"
80. Roni, Bobby Brown - Who's Roni?
81. Love In An Elevator, Aerosmith - Why an elevator?
82. Lay Your Hands On Me, Bon Jovi - Vaguely familiar!
83. This Promise, When In Rome - This song was a huge hit in High School. I still remember Romarose Riguer dancing this one. "If you need a friend, don't look to a stranger. You know in the end, i'll always be there..."
84. What I Am, Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians - Groovy song. Loved Edie Brickell since her "Good times" days.
85. I Remember Holding You, Boys Club - Unknown
86. Paradise City, Guns N' Roses - Unknown
87. Iwanna Have Some Fun, Samantha Fox - Unknown
88. She Wants To Dance With Me, Rick Astley - Who doesn't know Rick Astley? He was a dance icon and sounded like Roderic Paulate. "She wants to dance with me. I wanna hold her so tight next to me..."
89. Dreamin', Vanessa Williams - I prefer Vanessa's "Saved the best for last"
90. It's No Crime, Babyface - i don't know this one.
91. Poison, Alice Cooper - and this one.
92. This Time I Know It's For Real, Donna Summer - Donna does not disappoint. This was one of her better dance tunes. And it had a really nice story behind it. I think i know this one by heart. -- i'm going crazy just to let you know, you'll be amazed how much i love you so, oh baby. I've been around here long enough to know, this time I know it's for real!
93. Smooth Criminal, Michael Jackson - The dance move was much better than the song. I wanted to learn that "lean forward without tumbling over" routine so badly.
94. Heavan Help Me, Deon Estus - duh?
95. Rock Wit'cha, Bobby Brown - I wanna rock witcha baby, all night long. I wanna roll with you baby... Of course, he's talking about the horizontal rock here.
96. Thinking Of You, Sa-fire - This title I haven't read in ages. But I do remember it clearly: "I'm thinking of you. Wish that I could hold you tight... wish you could stay, but you're so far away... so far away...."
97. What You Don't Know, Expose - Me don't know, too...
98. Surrender To Me, Ann Wilson and Robin Zander - Oh no!
99. The End Of The Innocence, Don Henley - I don't know!
100. Keep On Movin', Soul II Soul - The last 3 songs!


Whew! That was a lot of work. But that was a lot of fun as well! Makes me want to sing "Love Shack" for the next few hours...

No comments: