Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cool!

Day by day, i'm beginning to see signs that winter is on the verge of making a big entrance.

The most glaring would be how people are dressed. Women are starting to bring out their fur lined coats (faux or otherwise) and knee high boots are becoming more visible than usual. Cable knit sweaters are adorning mannequins in most shops, and Zara has a fresh batch of scarves on sale.

Days are becoming shorter as well. Recently, it's beginning to get dark as early as 5:30 pm. By that time, the crisp, cool air is beginning to blow and one can't help but wish that he's back home, hiding under thick comforters and let the day pass by in a state of total sedentariness. I'm beginning to understand why Beijing-ers don't usually take baths during wintertime. It's really a pain to just get out of bed and make your way to the bathroom. Add the fact that you'll have to take your clothes off - albeit it's in a sealed bathroom - and have to be exposed to the cool wind, that's enough of a deterrent. But I swore that i'll take a bath no matter how cold it gets.

The weather at this moment is still perfect. Not too warm, not too cold. It reminds me of Barcelona at the onset of spring - the sun is up but the air is cool. It's the perfect time meander outdoors and take long, leisurely walks. It's also the perfect time to dress up! After all, winter does offer a lot of fashion possibilities - layering, wearing riding boots, wrapping your neck in a colorful scarf, and your head in a knitted beanie, wearing nice, leather gloves -- just thinking about it makes me want to stay outdoors most of the time.

This kind of weather can be hell on the skin. Double dryness is what comes to mind - because aside from the cold weather drying your skin, bathing in hot water also has the same effect. Ergo, when you bathe in hot water to escape the cold air, you get double dryness. (Cripes! That sounds like body copy to me.) Good thing I brought my lotion, and i should buy body butter as early as now.

On the upside, cold weather gives your cheeks that nice, rosy glow. I don't know why, but it has that effect on my skin. I guess the cold, and the heat, bring out the tisoy in me. Too bad i have to hide it under a scarf most of the time.

It's going to be my first "winter" living in Hong Kong, and it looks like it's going to be really cool.

No comments: