Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sweet (Tamarind) Memories

As a kid, there was a fruit snack that was always in our pantry.

It was in a white box with red print, there was a line drawing of a tamarind, and it had a small window where you can see the contents.

Inside, there were whole candied tamarinds. And when I say "whole," I do mean "whole." It had the stalks and seeds all intact. Imagine a regular tamarind fruit, then imagine it shelled, then candied.

The whole family liked eating it. From our grandparents, to our parents, to us, we'd finish boxes and boxes of this sweet and sour concoction.

As an adult, I've been looking for this red and white box of sweet tamarind, but could never seem to find it in supermarkets or even in local trade fairs.

That changed today.

It's the Lina's Sweet Tamarind of my childhood!

Found it in a pasalubong stop over on our way home from Batangas!

Haven't opened these yet, but I'm sure it'll be as good as it was during my childhood.

No comments: