Saturday, January 22, 2022

Netflix and Chil-aquiles

Because of this Netflix series I'm watching about Mexican food, I suddenly have a craving for Chilaquiles!

Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish which consists of tortillas, salsa, pulled chicken, crema, cheese and frijoles. Yes, it's all the Mexican faves in one plate!

When I was in Mexico, this was the first breakfast I tasted, and it was freshly cooked by my foster-Mom, Nora. The memories are still vivid in my mind - the moment I woke up and walked out of my room, there was this appetizing smell wafting from the kitchen.

It was Mama Nora cooking, and she was all smiles when she saw me walking in. She asked me to take a seat, poured me some orange juice, and asked me if I've ever tried Chilaquiles before. Of course, I haven't. So, while she was cooking, she was telling me about the dish, and how her Abuela taught her how to make it.

From the pan, she placed it on my plate and asked me: "Pruebalo!"

It was an epiphany at first bite! The combination of the crunch, creaminess, the mix of savory and acidity - it all made for a perfect dish. And a perfect first breakfast in Mexico.

Now, there are 2 things on my mind:

1. Is there a Mexican restaurant in Manila that makes Chilaquiles?

2. Should I look for a recipe and make it myself?

Gosh, if I could just fly to Mexico now and get the real deal, I will!

No comments: