Monday, December 20, 2021

Beautiful Song

One of the readings for tonight's anticipated Misa de Gallo is one of my all time favourites!

The reading from Song of Songs 2: 8-14 has been a personal fave since my high school days. As a writer, there's an instant and lasting appreciation for beautifully written readings and verses. And while the bible has a plethora of those, this one is very visual and elegantly written.

"I hear my lover's voice. He comes running over the mountains, racing across the hills to me.

My lover is like a gazelle, like a young stag. There he stands beside the wall.

He looks through the window and glances through the lattice.

My lover speaks to me. Come then, my love; my darling, come with me.

The winter is over; the rains have stopped; in the countryside the flowers are in bloom.

This is the time for singing; the song of doves is heard in the fields.

Figs are beginning to ripen; the air is fragrant and blossoming vines. 

Come then, my love; my darling come with me.

You are like a dove that hides in the crevice of a rock. 

Let me see your lovely face and hear your enchanting voice."

Reading through it, every line brings to live vivid images in my head. It's such a romantic story told with such simple eloquence.

No wonder this is one song I'll listen to again and again.

No comments: