Sunday, May 09, 2021

Fast Fashion Farewell

One thing this pandemic showed us is that, globally, no business is safe from its effects. While new companies and recent start ups bore the brunt of the situation, even older companies were equally affected.

Last week, I read this article online with a combination of shock and disbelief.

Debenhams - a fast fashion giant - has been in the UK for around 200 years. That's 2 centuries! Imagine that it's been through so much - from 2 World Wars, The Great Depression, the earlier pandemics, even the most recent Brexit. 

And it was able to weather all those crucial events in all those decades.  So, you'd think that they could also weather this crisis as they did the previous ones.

But these are strange times we live in. Especially for businesses. Even a heavyweight like Debenhams.

Makes me wonder if their closure in the UK will affect their Philippine operations? Will their stores around the globe close down, too?

If they will, I'll definitely miss my lunch time trips to Debenhams at Shangrila Mall. I'll miss Principles by Ben De Lisi, Butterfly by Matthew Williamson, Rocha by John Rocha, Star by Julien Macdonald, Red Herring, and even the earlier Editions collaborations with Roksanda Ilincic.

I'll also miss my Debenhams runs in JKT and HKG. I still remember all the great buys from sales in those branches a few years back.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after this situation ends, they'll find a way to reopen and still be a fabulous fast fashion source, both in the UK and the world.

No comments: