Tuesday, July 28, 2020

She's got game

The Mahjong scene in "Crazy Rich Asians" is one of the parts that's worth watching over and over again.



First reason, I'm a huge fan of the game mahjong. From the first time I learned it from my Mom and Grandmother, until the Morales cousins started playing it in Bicol, until the Mahjong games we'd play with Mark and the IUJ gang in Japan. Each game is a study in skill and patience.

Then, the acting of Constance Wu and Michelle Yeoh in this scene was also top-notch. There's so much restraint, strength and heart - both in what they said and how they acted. And when Rachel let Eleanor win - both with Nick and in the game - that was the cherry on top.

Gosh! It's been years since I've last played mahjong! It's something Mark and I should do once this quarantine biz is finally finished.

No comments: