Thursday, July 30, 2020

No more noodles

After reading that article about the closing of Swindon Book Co. Ltd., another store closing popped in my head. Actually, I read that article - and saw the accompanying video feature - last April, but I just remembered it a few months after.

The noodle shop in the story was Hop Hing Noodle Ka - a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Kwun Tong that serves top notch noodles.



I discovered that store while I was looking for the infamous outlet buildings in Kwun Tong. After a day of searching and walking, I found myself in this nondescript noodle house with a few people queueing outside. Curious about what they were in line for, I joined the line and was later treated to a hearty and yummy bowl of noodles.

But unlike my other noodle haunts in HKG like the Prawn Noodle Shop in Landale, I wasn't able to go to this store as often as I wanted to, or should. It was mainly because of the distance, and the fact that there was really nothing to do in Kwun Tong that made it worth hieing off to that far part of the island. (Yup, not even MegaBox could make me go there.)

Unfortunately, that last visit to Hop Hing Noodle Ka more than a decade ago turns out to be the last time I get to enjoy their noodles. Like Swindon, when I return to HKG, the noodle shop will be no more.


The only encouraging part about this featurette was when the owner said that they hope to find another place soon and reopen their famous noodle shop. 

I'm hoping it happens soon, and I'll make sure to go there wherever it will show up next.

No comments: