Sunday, June 07, 2015

Back to school

UP is one place that never grows old.

Even if I spent more than 4 years of my academic life here, and even if it's been decades since I graduated, there's always a feeling of thrill whenever I visit.

Maybe it's because UP is the perfect melange of old and new. It's a place that's steeped in history, yet never feels old. It's a place where there's always something new, yet it never feels forced or trendy. Simply put, it's a classic that never goes out of style.

That's why when I visited the campus today, it felt both new and familiar. Yes, the haunts that we usually stayed are still there, but the energy and vibe has changed a bit.

The Sunken Garden is still as I remember it - always full of people lazing and lounging around.


There were baristas practicing their routines, and it was interesting to see them do their thing.


Of course, the compulsory visit to UP Shopping Center had to be done. And no visit there would be complete without stopping by Rodic's. It's a university institution that's been around since 1949!


While their menu has changed since my college days (they didn't have sisig and liempo back then,) the classics like the tapsilog, tocilog and longsilog are still very much around.


What's peculiar is that because UP changed it's academic calendar already, the campus and the dorms were very quiet - almost deserted. So, it's nice to see UP without the hustle and bustle.

UP is definitely one school I don't mind going to everyday. Even on weekends.

No comments: