Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Linear Thinking

It's no secret that I've always been interested in graphic design and visuals - despite the fact that I'm a writer by nature. Thus, my eye has always gravitated towards strong prints, contrasting colors, and clean lines.

That's why when I saw this fabric at Fabric Warehouse, I immediately had to get a few yards.


It had these Prada-esque stripes in various colors including orange, pink, charcoal gray, light gray and beige. The distribution of the stripes were equal across the fabric, so it would be a pity to cut up the fabric and destroy the beauty of the lines.

Thus, when I talked to the dressmaker about the design, my main instruction was "make sure the stripes are intact - from top to bottom."

And this is what we came up with:


It's a maxi-dress with a fitted top and a flared hem. The dressmaker was able to utilize the entire length of the fabric, and the distribution of the colors was awesome. I think the colors fell in exactly the right part of the body.

Finally, to add a touch of interest on the garment, I decided to cut out a triangle at the back. That way, there's still a bit of skin to break the pattern.


Ate Bullet tried the dress out and it was perfect on her.

I'm sure this will be in line for the next event she'll be attending.

No comments: