Monday, April 22, 2013

Sibling reverly: The Regal edition

In previous entries, I've talked a lot about my siblings. Last year, when Tita Evelyn spent her holidays in Manila, I talked about Dad and his siblings.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I really haven't talked about Mom and her siblings. One reason is probably the fact that they're big and scattered in different places.

Mom is the 7th among 10 siblings. Yes, the Regalados - fondly called the "Regal babies" - are a big clan. And an "equal" one, too, because among the 10, there were 5 boys and 5 girls. 

As adults, Mom and her siblings were scattered in 3 different places. Mom was the only one who settled in Manila. Five of her siblings lived in the U.S with my Lolo and Lola, while the other 4 settled in Bicol which was my grandparents' hometown.

Growing up, we weren't too familiar with our Regalado aunts and uncles. We'd see our Bicol-based relatives maybe once every 2 years. For the U.S.-based Regalados, maybe once in 5 years. 

But that didn't stop us from being close. Whenever we'd get together, it would always be a lot of fun. I have fond memories of our Regalado clan reunions at the "palitada" in Malinao. Whenever my Aunts and Uncles from the California would visit, we'd stay up until the wee hours just talking and having fun. We'd correspond by letters and cards. They'd send packages of toys and goodies. And we'd always look forward to seeing each other.

Last weekend, Mom and 4 of her siblings got together in Hayward for my cousin's wedding. Uncle Rol posted this photo, and I thought it was such an adorable shot. Even if they're all in one country, Mom lives down South while the other 4 live at the West Coast. Ergo, a shot like this doesn't happen that often.


I love their smiles in this photo. It's so telling of how they love and miss each other, and how they're cherishing this moment that all 5 of them are together. It's just too bad that Auntie Cel and Uncle Coye were both in Bicol when this was taken.

But as my cousin Danny said, next year is the Golden wedding anniversary of Uncle Coye and Auntie Mila, and he's hoping that the 7 Regal-siblings will be together for that event.

That's definitely something to look forward to.

No comments: