Thursday, April 18, 2013

And now a message from your blogger...

This year, I was invited to be the editorial moderator of Pax, our college yearbook. The editor-in-chief, Maica, was one of my best advertising students. With her passion, talent and work ethic, I couldn't say no.

Truth is, this isn't the first time that I'll be involved in a yearbook. I was a writer for our high school yearbook, and the business manager of our college yearbook. Ergo, this shouldn't be too difficult for me.

But when Maica asked me to write a message to the graduates, I thought that it would be a challenge.

After all, it's been a while since I last wrote something that's supposed to inspire an entire batch. And even though I've written copy that was able to rally people to buy Myra 400-E, Incremin, Colgate and Palmolive, I wasn't sure if I could write copy that would rally an entire batch of college students.

Then again, I was never one to shirk at a challenge. So, I mustered all my inspiring energy, and managed to eke out these word of inspiration and advice to SSC Batch 2013:


Dearest graduates of Batch 2013,

“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.”

These words were spoken by Bill Cosby – a famous American comedian who I’d love to watch when I was your age. They were also words that my parents wrote on the card they gave me on my own graduation.

As you take your first step into the proverbial “real world,” I’m certain that there’s an amount of fear in your hearts.  Niggling questions begin to pop in your head. Questions like: “Will I get a job immediately?” “Will I get my dream job?” “Am I going to succeed life?”

The answer to those questions is a resounding “Yes!” But you need to keep alive that desire in your heart to succeed. The same desire that allowed you to do excellently in your schoolwork. That allowed you pass your comprehensive exams with flying colors. That allowed you to successfully defend your theses. That allowed you to receive that diploma that you so longingly desired.

Along with that desire, you also need to put into practice the knowledge and values that the school has instilled in you. For the past 4 or 5 years, we’ve always emphasized the Benedictine Values of “Ora et Labora.” And you should bring this with you wherever your first step takes you.

With that, I congratulate all of you for a job spectacularly done. I, along with the entire editorial board of Pax, wish that this yearbook will remind you of the wonderful memories and desire that you had in college. More importantly, we look forward to all your future successes.

That in all things, God may be glorified.

After reading and re-reading it, I thought, "Heck, it ain't that bad."

And my editor-in-chief's reaction was: "Sir, it's too long."

No comments: