Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fits me to a T

The truth is, I was never the perfume type of guy. 

When I was in high school, all the guys in LSQC would reek of either Drakkar Noir or Kouros. Some would go through great pains to buy the original, and others would settle for the more inexpensive version. (The most popular being Charmis' Boyfriend.)

Later on, the perfume du jour became Davidoff's Cool Water, then Polo classic, then Polo Sport. I still remember the time when the perfume "Aspen" was a huge hit - mainly because it smelled like Cool Water.

While my classmates sprayed and spritzed left and right, I would try to avoid them because I found the smell of perfume too strong. That's the main reason why I avoided it like an olfactory plague. For me, the best scent is the natural scent the comes from soap, shampoo and water. Another scent that I liked was the smell of freshly laundered clothes and sheets. 

If I had to wear a scent, my preference would lean towards the light, Spanish colognes that Tita Evelyn would bring from Spain. This was the era of Nenuco, DeNeNes, and Baby Gal.

This was a habit I carried with me from high school to college to my career days. Yes, I'd get a lot of perfume as gifts or pasalubong, but it was very rare that I'd use them. Most often, they'd be on my dresser, waiting for an uber-special-occasion to be used.

That was until I discovered this perfume that smells exactly like the things I wanted - soap, shampoo, water, and freshly laundered clothes and sheets. It was a brand called "Clean."

I first discovered this in HKG, at a small shop beside the building where our client's office was. Vincent and I were checking out perfumes, and I got a whiff of "Clean Men," and got hooked. The scent was that perfect "just got out of the shower" scent. Needless to say, I bought a bottle, and used it sparingly. And that bottle is still on my dresser up to this very day.

During my last birthday, Mona added another bottle to my Clean repertoire. I asked her if she could buy a bottle of Clean Cotton T-shirt, and she did! And she gave it to me as a birthday gift! Woot!


The scent of this perfume is fantastic. It's like smelling a shirt that was laundered using a detergent with fabric conditioner, then thrown into a dryer, then brought out. It has that warm, comforting smell that's not overpowering, and has that feel-good vibe to it. Just like a favorite cotton t-shirt.

Now here's one shirt that I wouldn't mind wearing everyday.

No comments: