Monday, August 13, 2012

Chews your childhood

Among my cherished childhood memories is going to the neighborhood sari-sari store and buying gum balls from either Aling Leony or Mommy Gallegos. Back then, we didn't have mega-candy stores nor access to swanky imported candies. So, gum balls, particularly the "Cherry Ball Gum" from Columbia was a big hit.

Those chewy treats were ridiculously cheap back then. It was just 10 centavos a piece. (Yes, kids, you could buy something with 10 centavos back then.) Then, the store owner would put them in a rolled up piece of paper, most often an old page from a telephone directory. (I guess we weren't too conscious of hygiene back then.)

I went to the supermarket tonight to buy milk. Lo and behold, I found this in one of the shelves!


Columbia Gum Balls! And the bigger version at that. After seeing these precious little chewing gums, I knew I had to buy a pack.


Thankfully, it's still the same gum ball that I've known and loved since a kid. It has the same taste and texture, the same candy colors, and even the feeling is the same when you start chewing on them!

The downside is that it costs more now. I think it'll come up to P1.00 per gum ball. Then again, I wouldn't expect them to stay 10 centavos forever.

Now, if only they had Tarzan and Texas in the supermarket.

No comments: