Sunday, August 26, 2012

Another giant leap

Neil Armstrong's story never fails to inspire me.


As a kid, we'd study world history and one topic I'd look forward to was the story of Apollo 11 and the first man on the moon. No one will ever forget that iconic line: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." It's the best tagline ever written.

Needless to say, after learning about Neil Armstrong, I wanted to become an astronaut for NASA. This dream came after my original dreams of becoming an archeologist and a house boy. At home, I would make a space shuttle out of our dining chairs and pretend that I'm going to the moon or mars to lead an outer space exploration.

Of course, I never became an astronaut. Although I can say that I'm often spaced out. Harhar.

Despite that fact, I still followed Neil Armstrong's life post-Apollo 11. I admired how he kept that fire and passion for his previous and current work as an astronaut. Also, I admired how he kept his feet on the ground despite having the bragging rights of being the first man on the moon.

He was a man who literally reached for the stars but was still grounded.

And as he takes his next giant leap to the great beyond, I salute the man who made every child dream to outer space. And the man who made this dream a reality for thousands of astronauts who came after him.

Have a good voyage, Neil Armstrong.

No comments: