Saturday, September 10, 2011

Taking (and making) the cake

If there's one thing I find myself doing a lot of lately, it's designing cakes. For the past few months, I've designed wedding cakes, birthday cakes, no-occasion cakes, so, just about any cake.

My latest design was for the wedding of Mona's sister, Lanny. Her wedding theme was "Filipiniana," and she was particularly taken by "Vigan," a previous design that Dexter's did. So, taking that as a jump off point and trying to incorporate elements of their wedding, I sketched and came up with this.



This 3-layer cake has a round-square-round orientation, and has a capiz lantern as an accent. Since their color motif was green, I made sure to add that element in the design. And keeping true to the spirit of the original "Vigan" cake, I included the burnay jars and the ubiquitous kalesa chair.

Today, Ate Bullet and Raymond finally finished the cake, and this is what made it to the reception.



Like everything that Dexter's does, this was a masterpiece in sugar. Each detail was handcrafted using gum paste and royal icing. The decorations were all hand painted. And this added character to each layer of the cake. From the topper which featured a kissing couple:



To the jars and tiles that filled the entire cake:



The capiz lantern added an elegant touch. And may I just say that it took me almost a week, scouring different markets from Quiapo to Arranque, just to find the perfect capiz lantern. That's the thing with me, whenever I visualize something, I have to look for the exact same thing that my mind visualized. And this lantern was it!



A closer look at the details. The amount of work that went into this is staggering!



After the wedding, Mona's Mom thanked me for the cake and commented on how nice it was. She asked me who designed it, and I said: "Ako po." But I was quick to add that it was my brother-in-law and sister who did most of the work since they were in charge of turning the design into the actual cake. And as we're taught in advertising, a concept is good, but the execution can make it great.

And they certainly did a great job executing my concept.

No comments: