Monday, September 12, 2011

Double Dots

I've always been a huge fan of the print-on-print look. So much so that I built my wrapping theme on this Etro-esque feel a few years back.

Usually, the print-on-print trend works by putting together two disparate prints from the same color family. For example, Etro always mixes florals with solid patterns. Other designers mix narrow stripes with thick stripes. And the effect is visually interesting yet pleasing to the eye.

But what if we add two of the same prints together? Would it work as well?

Apparently, it can. There were two polka dotted items in Ate Lissa's closet, and I thought of mixing them to see whether it would be visually appealing. And here's the result:



I think it works because of a number of factors. First, the scale of the prints are contrasting. The big dots of the Apartment 8 shift merge well with the small dots of the Commes de Garcons x H&M cardigan. Second, the two items of clothing are from the same color family. This enhances rather than distracts from the overall look.



Finally, I added a thin, black belt to break the pattern and ground the look.



After seeing the results, I think my double dot experiment works. And the good thing is, you don't have to wait for New Year's day to wear it.

No comments: