Thursday, September 29, 2011

Comfort food

When I lived and travelled abroad, then separation would get the better of me, I usually comforted myself by buying a pack of a sweet treat. Yup, for me, comfort food means something sweet, fluffy and soft. And since that sweet, fluffy and soft item varies from country to country, I'd usually have a different comfort food in different countries.

MEXICO - During my 3-odd-month stint there, I'd feel homesick every so often, especially whenever I'd be separated from the Mexican Mafia, namely Beng, Beth and Ginger. And whenever that happens, it was off to Sorianas to buy a box of Pinguinos. I was so fond of it that my foster parents thought it was adorable. Mainly because a grown man was eating the same thing as their pre-school kids.


HONG KONG & GUAM - At Great Food Hall, they usually had a nice selection of imported brands. And one brand of comfort food that I'm glad they always had was Little Debbie's Cupcakes. It's pretty much like Pingguinos, but made in the USA. This was also my comfort food of choice during my 2-week (but it felt like 2-months) trips to Guam last year.


U.S. - Hostess Twinkies! Soft, golden butter cake and creamy vanilla filling. 'Nuff said!


MANILA - Yup, I'm in the mood for comfort food today, and I've recently discovered the joys of Fudgee Bar Macapuno. The cake is light and has that distinct pandan flavor. Then, the sweet, juicy and nicely textured filling reminds me of the home-made macapuno my Mom would make as a child. I never thought I'd get hooked on Macapuno again, but this bar made me a believer again.


If all 4 of these were available in Manila supermarkets, I'd be one very, very, VERY comfortable guy.

No comments: