Friday, September 09, 2011

FMM: Soulful Friday

Call me an old soul, but I've always been partial to singers from the 60s and 70s. That's why when I was in high school, I'd listen to Dad's collection of old cassette tapes like Earth, Wind and Fire and The 5th Dimension. This was the time when all my classmates were listening to Duran Duran and Sheena Easton.

Among my favorite singers are soul singers who are African-American in heritage. The songs of people like Ella Fitzgerald and Barry White are beautiful because they tell the story with their voice as much as their lyrics.

Another favorite is Lou Rawls. Truth is, I first heard of him when I found out that he sang the theme song of the Garfield animated series. This was one of my favorite cartoon shows when I was in high school, and I'd watch it religiously. After being exposed to Lou's voice, I became curious about his other songs, and they turned out to be equally great.

His voice is so soulful, cool and smooth, much like dark chocolate ice cream. And it never grows old. Even if I've listened to him thousands of times, I never get tired of his voice.

And since it's Friday, I'm paying tribute to this singer with soul, and here he is singing my song du jour.

No comments: