Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lumang Lomo

A few years ago, everyone - including their mothers - were into Lomography. That time, it was "cool" to be seen with a lomo camera and having your lomo photos developed at your neighborhood Kodak store.

Among the most popular Lomo cameras was the "fish eye" camera. The lens makes it look like the photo was being looked at through a sphere, and it was distorted in a very aesthetic way.

When I saw those "fish eye" photos which were so "now", it reminded me of something I'd see back "then."

When we were kids, we had a lot of "fish eye" photos at home. They would be in picture frames, in photo albums, even inside paperweights. We'd have fish eye photos of the family in front of the house, inside the room, even while at a picnic.

Thanks to my Ate Lissa, I was able to see those "fish eye" photos again after a few decades. Here's one of them:



Here's the family a couple of decades ago. And yes, I'm the little, itty-bitty baby being carried by my Mom. Of course, I was too young to remember when or why this photo was taken, but it looks like another of our many family portraits. (Yup, we have quite a lot.)

My comment on this photo is that everyone looked so well-dressed and stylish. From my parents to my siblings, everyone was so retro-chic! Just like the fish eye effect. (Which was supposed to be new.)

Just goes to show that some of the best and newest things - like fashion and Lomography - can actually come from something that's old.

No comments: