Monday, April 19, 2010

Old's Cool

Looking at the top 3 contenders for Project Runway 7, you'd think they're a motley crew with nothing in common.

There's Seth Aaron, the rocker.

Mila, the Goth.

And Emilio, the guy next door.

But if you look at their bios, you'll see what common thread binds these 3 designers. They're "old."

"Old" because most of the finalists of Project Runway are in their early 20s to 30s. Christian Siriano was 22 when he won. Leanne and Irina were both 27. So they won during their "prime."

If you look at the top 3 designers this season, Seth Aaron is 37, Mila is 40 and Emilio is 43. So in "fashion years", they're actually over the hill.

But what this season of Project Runway is showing is that you're never too old to follow your dreams or accomplish what you've always desired. I think Mila said it well when she said: "I always knew that I'd have my own line. But I wanted it in my own time." And if her "time" is at 40, so be it.

The final runway show is on Thursday. No matter who wins (I'm rooting for Seth Aaron), I think this season's 3 designers have accomplished something bigger than what they imagined.

No comments: