Thursday, June 26, 2008

Konnichiwa Chronicles: Chef-fing up

To celebrate Mark's Dean's List accomplishment, I did something that I haven't done in quite some time. Cook.

We decided to cook breakfast for the Pinoy senpais, which is great because breakfast is my specialty of sorts. So while Mark was getting his haircut at Family Cut Yours (yes, there is such a shop in Japan), I went to Harashin to buy ingredients. This is when I started missing the supermarkets in Manila and Hong Kong. I couldn't understand any of the aisle signs since they were in Japanese characters. Plus, asking anyone was out of the question. It took me about 4 rounds in the supermarket to confirm that they didn't have Spam. Gosh! What kind of supermarket doesn't have Spam?

The menu consisted of French Toast, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Bacon, Ham and Sausages. Caramelized Spam would've been in the list, but again, we couldn't find Spam anywhere. Not in Harashin. Not in Gran Depot. And the one at Yamazaki was gone, too.

While Mark and I were cooking, I remarked that we might be cooking too much. In addition to the above menu, we added in garlic fried rice to the fray. "What a combination. French Toast and Garlic Rice." Mark said. At this point, I was wondering if we cooked too much. To call this a "big breakfast" might be an understatement.

Surprise, surprise. The group finished everything! (Well, there was one french toast and about a cup of fried rice left.) Seeing how everyone enjoyed the meal, I'm glad that we decided to cook for everyone instead of just buying a gallon of ice cream or a bucket of KFC.

And seeing how everyone enjoyed the meal made me miss the days when I'd cook or bake every weekend as a means of de-stressing, as well as doing one of the things I'm passionate about.

I should really do this more often.



P.S. That same afternoon, Mark and I cooked an omelet and more french toast for Nino, Josie and Mabelle.

No comments: