Friday, June 06, 2008

The Customer is King

Whenever I'm at a fast food joint, people often offer me extra napkins, extra condiments or - in places like Bangkok - a free root beer float. Today, I got offered something that just knocked me off my seat. A free hand massage.



Since moving franchisees, Burger King has been aggressive in offering something new to its customers. First, they upgraded the look of their stores - a welcome change from the drab and depressing outlets they had a few years back. Second, they added new items in their menu, like those yummy dessert pies. Third, they started playing afternoon movies - which I'm enjoying since now that I'm on my first phase of bumhood. Fourth, they introduced the "free charging stations" for mobile phones and other electronic devices. With these 4 changes alone, I've been a BK regular in Manila. (The BK fish sandwich is divine!)

Now, they have free wifi and free hand massages, too. At first, I thought it was a prank and looked around to check if Ashton Kutcher was anywhere around the vicinity. (Punk'd much?) It didn't help that the lady who offered it to me was really wearing a masseuse's uniform, and that added to the "freak out factor."

Of course, I refused. Not because I found it weird, but more because I couldn't eat with one hand. The ladies on the next table were all too happy to take the offer, though. By the time I finished my meal, around 3 people got their hand massages. No, it's not a case of the lady giving short massages, it's more of a case of me eating really slow. As the masseuse disappered into the "service crew only" area of the store, the girls were all raving about the massage and swearing that they'd be back again tomorrow.

I've heard of fast food joints offering "added service," but this is ridiculous. Then again, this is Burger King. You're supposed to have it your way here.

No comments: