Thursday, June 05, 2008

Check it out now

Another "oldie" is making a big comeback these days. It's an article of clothing I used to wear a lot -- and I do mean A LOT -- in college. And now, everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- is wearing it.

Yes Virginia, the checkered shorts are back.



Go to H&M in Hong Kong, Bench and Penshoppe in Manila, or American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch in the US, and you're sure to find a pair for sale. I got one from Aeropostale and 2 from H&M recently, and as much as I love, love, love them, I'm kinda looking like every other Joe in the city. Whenever I'm at the mall, it looks like 5 out of 10 guys are wearing checkered shorts. (The other half, not surprisingly, are wearing skinny jeans. Gosh! Skinny jeans is sooooo 2007!)

I remember back in 1992, Abelle and I were into Madras shorts and had the same green and red pair. One day, we decided to go to SM city wearing the same pair of shorts, a white t-shirt, and a pair of white Tretorn. We felt so cool that time. But now that I'm looking back at it, it brings chills up my spine. Fashion crime! Then again, I'll use the "we were young and innocent" card for this one.

Eventhough it's a trend, overexposed and something everyone's wearing, I'm not giving up on my checkered shorts. It's just too comfortable to give up.

No comments: