Friday, May 16, 2008

Tales of Sales

Serendipitously, I came home this week to two big sales. Not only that, these two sales are labeled "most awaited" and "must not miss" on my sale calendar - even as far back as 5 years. If Japan has their "January 1 Sale" and the US has their "Thanksgiving Sale," I have my "Robinson's Mall Sale" and the "Rustan's Annual Summer Sale."

Sale 1: Rustan's Annual Summer Sale

There was a time when those 4 words would get me and Kin scampering to Shangri-la and heading straight to Rustan's. Why wouldn't we? They had fashionable in-house brands like Due (then designed by Rhett Eala), Luna (that time by Pia Regala-Hebron) and U. Apart from that, they had uber hip imported brands like Free People, Bulldog, Industrie, Lucky Brand Jeans and FCUK. And for 2 weeks in a year, they'd mark these babies down by as much as 70%. We'd often go inside empty handed, and leave with at least 3 bags full of fabulous finds.

Unfortunately, those days are gone.

My friend warned me that the Rustan's Sale this year - as well as the past years - was crap. Major league crap. Of course, I wasn't convinced because of my previous euphoric experiences. How bad could it be? Yes, Due is dead and Luna is now unimaginative and over priced, but there must be some saving grace.

There wasn't any. And my friend was correct: The Rustan's Sale is crap.

Stocks were lousy. Everything was overpriced. And nothing was worth the price you'll pay for. I've been to 3 branches of Rustan's, and it's the same story all throughout. Such a waste of time, and such a disappointment. Thank goodness there's another sale to look forward to.

Sale 2: Robinson's Midnight + 2 day sale.

To say that I'm obsessed with the mall sales at Robinson's is an understatement. When our office was still in Emerald Avenue, I'd know all the sale dates by heart (thanks, Bonique) and would be there the night before to do "recon work." Then, at 10am, I'd be by the entrance and once the doors are open, I'd make a mad dash to the different stores to go on a grabbing spree.

As I told Bonique a while ago, it's been more than 2 years since I last went to a Robinson's Mall Sale. And unlike Rustan's, Robinson's definitely did not disappoint.

The "old reliables" are still reliable as ever. Shops like Topman, Topshop, People are People, Bayo and Kamiseta are still delivering the goods. I accompanied Lezyl as she went shop crazy today. Through her, I felt like I shopped vicariously; not that I didn't do any shopping myself. Fortunately, my sense of self control is at a high, and I only bought a small - teeny tiny, really - amount of stuff.

Then again, there are 2 more days left. So this isn't the end of the story just yet.

No comments: