Sunday, May 04, 2008

Losing my marbles



It all started with a craving. Aside from the butter cake from Dexter's - an obvious favorite - the only other sliced cake I really like is the Marble Slice from Goldilocks. Every month, during my scheduled visit to Manila, I make sure to buy a slice or two. Biting into one is sheer bliss! Usually, I save the top for last because it's the best part. When I flew back to HK two weeks ago, I even bought 6 slices at the airport - and finished them in 2 days.

Today, I had an intense craving for a Marble Slice. Went to the Asian store below my flat, and they didn't have any. So the only option was to go to Worldwide House. On a Sunday.

Going to Worldwide House on a Sunday is like going to Divisoria in December. There's a dizzying number of people and the crowd is so thick, everyone's standing almost shoulder to shoulder. For that reason alone, I never, ever, ever, EVER go there on Sundays. But today was different. I had a craving. I had to brave the crazy crowd. I had to get a Marble Slice.

Checked out the first floor; only Taisan Cake and Egg pie. Went to the second floor; there was only polvoron. Third floor, nothing from Goldilocks. Even if the crowd was so thick and my patience was wearing really, really thin, I decided to go check all three floors again. Asked the shopkeepers. But they all had the same reply -- no Marble Slice.

At this point, I was hungry and frustrated at the fact that I couldn't get what I was craving for. Honestly, if I had my passport with me, I would've booked a flight to Manila today and would probably be at Goldilocks in Cubao eating a slice. But without my passport, I was stuck in HK. With no Marble Slice in sight, my frustration later turned to irritation, and the Sunday crowd was quickly getting on my nerves. I was snapping at the people who were nudging me or stepping on me - things that I usually don't mind. Also ran into a friend of mine, and didn't even bother to talk to him. I just nodded my head and proceeded to the exit.

To cool my head, I bought a strawberry shake and proceeded to Lane Crawford for a bit of window shopping. Walking and browsing does wonders for me, and "wonder" is definitely in order today. As expected, they brought out the best and newest for spring, and the racks were full of new stuff from Brioni, Reem Accra, Peachoo+Krejberg, and of course, Proenza Schouler! And among the new stocks in the Proenza Schouler rack was this dress that I've been looking at in net-a-porter.com.




I must say, the photo doesn't give justice to the dress. The real thing looks 200% better. The fabric was beautiful and the color had quiet elegance. And the details and finishing were superb - right down to the bustier that's the signature of the designing duo. Seeing it definitely made my day, and made up for the whole marble slice fiasco.

Needless to say, I just checked the dress out and DIDN'T buy it. If the frustation brought about by a HK$10 slice of cake makes me run off to buy a HK$31,000 dress, that would mean I'd really lost my marbles.

No comments: